Chair Castor Applauds American Jobs Plan
Mar 31, 2021
President Biden's Plan Will Put Americans To Work Building A Modern, More Resilient Infrastructure
WASHINGTON - On Wednesday, Chair Kathy Castor of the Select Committee on the Climate Crisis released the following statement as President Biden unveiled the American Jobs Plan, a comprehensive infrastructure package that would create jobs in construction, manufacturing, clean energy and other industries through much-needed investments in America's roads, bridges, electric grid, and water systems:
"With the American Jobs Plan, President Biden is sending a clear message to America: let’s get to work," said Chair Castor. "Whether it's electricians, steelworkers, plumbers or pipefitters, we are ready to unleash the potential for American workers to build a modern, more resilient infrastructure - one that will protect families and small businesses from the growing costs of the climate crisis. As we prepare to build back better, President Biden is ready for thousands of workers to build new transmission lines, conserve our public lands and waters, clean up abandoned oil and gas wells and coal mines, and fix water pipes in communities across America.
The American Jobs Plan will transform the way we move, reducing pollution from cars and ensuring cleaner air for environmental justice communities. That includes building 500,000 electric vehicle chargers across the nation, electrifying our school buses and postal trucks, and doubling the federal funding for public transit. This plan will also help rectify decades of disinvestment in communities of color and low-income communities, making sure we center our economic recovery on the American people, regardless of race, color, gender, or zip code.
From his first day in office, President Biden has outlined a vision to put Americans to work and revitalize our economy through generational investments. The American Jobs Plan makes further progress on that vision, which has – and should have – bipartisan support. I look forward to working with the Biden Administration to continue delivering progress for the American people."
The announced investments make progress on the following recommendations from the Climate Crisis Action Plan:
- Build a Cleaner and More Resilient Transportation Sector
- Invest in Water Infrastructure to Ensure Access to Clean Water
- Expand Access to and Ensure the Resilience of Broadband Infrastructure
- Create a Cleaner and More Resilient Electricity Sector
- Build and Upgrade Homes, Businesses, and Critical Public Buildings for Resilience, Energy Efficiency, and Emissions Reductions
- Drive Innovation, Domestic Manufacturing, and Deployment of Climate Solutions
- Invest in America’s Workforce and Support Workers Through Economic and Energy Transitions
More information here.
- In June of 2020, the Select Committee on the Climate Crisis Democrats released the majority staff report Solving the Climate Crisis: The Congressional Action Plan for a Clean Energy Economy and a Healthy, Resilient, and Just America. This report provides a roadmap for Congress—a Climate Crisis Action Plan—to build a prosperous, clean energy economy that values workers, advances environmental justice, and is prepared to meet the challenges of the climate crisis.