Chair Castor: 'Biden Has Assembled The Most Climate-Forward Cabinet In History'
Dec 18, 2020
WASHINGTON - On Friday, Chair Kathy Castor of the Select Committee on the Climate Crisis released the following statement, as President-Elect Joe Biden announced key members of his incoming climate team:
"President-Elect Biden has assembled the most climate-forward cabinet in history," said Chair Castor. "With this Climate Dream Team, I’m more hopeful than ever that we can unleash America’s clean energy future."
This week, President-elect Biden announced he would nominate:
- Congresswoman Deb Haaland as Secretary of the Interior,
- Former Governor Jennifer Granholm as Secretary of Energy,
- Michael Regan as Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),
- Brenda Mallory as Chair of the White House Council on Environmental Quality,
- Former EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy as the first-ever National Climate Advisor to lead the newly formed White House Office of Domestic Climate Policy,
- And Ali Zaidi as Deputy National Climate Advisor.
Read more about each nominee here.
"The United States has an incredible opportunity to create good-paying jobs, lower costs for families and businesses, improve public health, and do so in a moral and equitable way," said Chair Castor. "The Biden Administration will get to work on solving the climate crisis from Day One, led by a tested team that truly cares about making America resilient and pushing for environmental justice."
- This summer, the Select Committee on the Climate Crisis Democrats released the majority staff report Solving the Climate Crisis: The Congressional Action Plan for a Clean Energy Economy and a Healthy, Resilient, and Just America. This report provides a roadmap for Congress—a Climate Crisis Action Plan—to build a prosperous, clean energy economy that values workers, advances environmental justice, and is prepared to meet the challenges of the climate crisis.